Welcome

This is an experiment--maybe a good one, maybe a bad one. We'll see. It was born from ruminations about whether there wasn't a better way to keep in touch with far-flung family and friends than relying on occasional phone calls and chance meetings.

I hope you'll post your comments, responses and original thoughts here, too. That way, this monologue will quickly turn into a conversation!

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sitting Here in Limbo

What a lovely thing it is to be between jobs.

One is deliciously free of nagging worries about what's happening at the office and marvelously unconcerned about what time it is. Even better, one doesn't have the cloud of financial uncertainty hanging over one's head as one does when truly unemployed. One is confident that the last check from the previous job will be followed by the first check from the new job. If, as they taught us in Catholic school, limbo is a state of natural happiness (as opposed to heavenly bliss), then this must be it.

I can feel the burdens of my last job, Acting VP for Finance and Administration and Treasurer at Mills College, falling away a little more each day. What a pressure cooker that was! My average day was 12 hours and every minute was flat out, pedal to the metal. I did good work--really, really good work--but unlike my last several jobs, at Mills that work all seemed to be invisible to my bosses. Sometimes, it actually seemed as if the more successful I was, the more hemmed in and marginalized I became. I don't think I've ever encountered that before. Have you?

The new job, CFO at TransFair (see links on the left), will have its own pressure cooker qualities, but I think the organization is more functional than Mills. Already, TF has done two very good things--hallmarks, I hope, of its thoughtfulness.

The first was inviting me to the October board meeting. The second was sending me a copy of The First 90 Days by Michael Watkins. The note that came with the book said that they give the book to all new managers. Interesting idea, isn't it? I'm actually finding it a very thoughtful and stimulating read. If you'd like a taste, check out this podcast: http://career-advice.monster.com/new-job-tips/Audio-The-First-90-Days/home.aspx

With only three days of vacation left, I'm trying to make the most of each moment. Lunch with long-lost friends, planned dinners at home with Bob, random wanderings, and golden minutes spent in the back yard watching the birds splash in the bath. Today's big plan: Making an apple pie. Would that I had lifetimes of this kind of unstructured time instead of two short weeks!

No comments: